We are a diverse group of mental health professionals, family members, and members of the community who volunteer to advocate for Hawaii’s citizens on mental health issues. Our council maintains a membership of 21 members from a variety of backgrounds, who are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate. Terms of membership are for four years.
We are currently inviting the following to apply:
- Youth receiving support for emotional and behavioral development (SEBD)
- Recipients of mental health services who live with a serious mental illness (SMI)
- Family members of children, youth and adults who receive mental health services
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in serving the citizens of Hawaii. Once a completed application is received, you will be emailed a confirmation that your application has been received.
Due to the overwhelming amount of applicants, we ask that you refrain from contacting the office and requesting updates on your application. The Office of Boards and Commissions will contact you upon selection.
When selecting from the list of Departments,
- Select “Department of Health”
- Select “State Council on Mental Health”
- Press “Submit”
- Complete the online application
- Your application will be reviewed
- Upon confirmation that you are eligible and a vacancy in the area of representation that best matches your application is available, you will be contacted by the Boards and Commissions office.
Please contact Carolyn Weygan-Hildebrand at (808) 453-6957 or by email at